New Rider FAQ

Hopefully the following Q&A's cope with most of the regular queries you have as a new rider or potential riders parent.

If you have any more questions please call or email.
We are more than happy to help.

Q. Does the Scooter need to be locked when its parked?
A. Yes, as with any bicycle, security is really important. An alarmed disc lock will alert you if people try to wheel the bike away, but really its best to chain the bike to either lamp posts or a bollard. A good quality armoured chain and padlock starts from around £25.

Q. Where can I park my scooter?
A. One of the biggest advantages of a scooter or motorcycle is the ease of parking in the city centre or busy shopping outlets. Free parking is offered very close to the entrance doors of most shopping outlets and Hull City Centre has numerous free parking bays with barriers you can secure your bike to. For all sports fans KC Stadium has free bike bays right around the perimeter of the stadium.

Q. How often do I need an MOT?
A. An MOT is not required until the bike or scooter reaches 3 years of age. See our Workshop & service section for online bookings

Q. How often do I need to have a service?
A. Most models have service intervals of around 3000 miles or 1 year whichever comes sooner. An annual service will be cost approx £85 and will keep the bike running smoothly and reliably. See our Workshop & service section for online bookings

Q. If I want to upgrade my 50cc scooter after a year, what do I do?
A. We happily take any used scooter in part exchange and even buy for cash if necessary. If you have outstanding finance we can deal with that too.

Q. Can I pay monthly or do I have to pay in full?
A. We offer finance facilities on both new and used scooters and motorcycles with very low deposits of only £99. You can spread monthly payments up to 4 years and we can tailor the finance to suit your monthly budget. Don't worry if you under 21 as parents or guardians can potentially guarantee the loan on your behalf.

Q. Can I carry a passenger?
A. Only riders of 50cc mopeds with a full car license issued before Feb 1st 2001 can carry passengers. If your riding on a CBT you can't carry passengers.

Q. How much will road insurance cost?
A. Quotes vary massively from one insurance broker to another and comparison sites often display very high figures. We recommend Lexham Insurance who specialize in motorcycle and scooter insurance and generally offer very good rate. See our insurance page for an online quote and details of current insurance promotions offered by the manufacturers.

Q. How much does a Moped cost?
A. Our entry level 50cc starts from around £2300 and you can spend up to £6000 on a 125cc motorcyle. We also sell used mopeds, scooter and motorcycles from around £800. See our Premier league pre-owned

Q. What safety equipment do I need to ride?
A. Legally only a helmet is required (Entry level approx £60), however we would strongly advise you invest in some protective gear -gloves are really essential and a waterproof armoured jacket would be strongly recommended. See our online clothing store for more details

Q. How far can I go on £5 of fuel?
A. All lightweight motorcycles and scooters are incredibly efficient on fuel and very low on emissions too! If used sensibly you can expect a minimum of 100 miles for a £5 spend but on some 4-stroke models up to 150 miles for the same spend. Speak to our sales staff for more details.

Q. How much is road tax?
A. For all scooters and motorcycles of 125cc or under, a years road tax is £22. Compare this to car road tax and you can see the annual savings! The only other cost is the one off 1st registration fee on new vehicles of £55 but this applies to all motor vehicles.

Q. Is there any training needed before I can ride a scooter?
A: Yes if you a riding on a provisional license then you must complete a 1 day compulsory training basic course (CBT) which is valid for 2 years of riding. please see our training page for details. If you have a full car license issued prior to 1st Feb 2001, you can ride a 50cc without taking a CBT and you don't need to display L-Plates.

Q Do I need a license to ride?
A: Yes, you need to hold a valid UK provisional license. You can apply online with the DVLA or visit our showrooms/major post offices for an application form.

Q. How fast do they go?
A: A 50cc moped will reach a legal maximum speed of 30-35mph. A 125cc scooter or motorcycle will typically reach 55-65mph and the 125 Sports models will reach 70-75mph.

Q. What kind of motorcycle can I ride?
A: At 16yrs old you can ride a 50cc Moped and from 17yrs old you can ride up to 125cc in either a scooter or motorcycle.

Q. What age do I have to be to start riding a scooter?
A: Anyone from the age of 16 you can ride a scooter

© Copyright 2024 5-WAYS Motorcycle Centre. All rights reserved

Fiveways Motorcycle Centre Ltd is an Appointed Representative of Automotive Compliance Ltd, who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA No 497010). Automotive Compliance Ltd’s permissions as a Principal Firm allows Fiveways Motorcycle Centre Ltd to act as a credit broker, not as a lender, for the introduction to a limited number of lenders and to act as an agent on behalf of the insurer for insurance distribution activities only.

We can introduce you to a selected panel of lenders, which includes manufacturer lenders linked directly to the franchises that we represent. An introduction to a lender does not amount to independent financial advice and we act as their agent for this introduction. Our approach is to introduce you first to the manufacturer lender linked directly to the particular franchise you are purchasing your vehicle from, who are usually able to offer the best available package for you, taking into account both interest rates and other contributions. If they are unable to make you an offer of finance, we then seek to introduce you to whichever of the other lenders on our panel is able to make the next best offer of finance for you. Our aim is to secure the best deal you are eligible for from our panel of lenders. Lenders may pay a fixed commission to us for introducing you to them, calculated by reference to the vehicle model or amount you borrow. Different lenders may pay different commissions for such introductions, and manufacturer lenders linked directly to the franchises that we represent may also provide preferential rates to us for the funding of our vehicle stock and also provide financial support for our training and marketing. But any such amounts they and other lenders pay us will not affect the amounts you pay under your finance agreement, all of which are set by the lender concerned. If you ask us what the amount of commission is, we will tell you in good time before the Finance agreement is executed. All finance applications are subject to status, terms and conditions apply, UK residents only, 18’s or over. Guarantees may be required.

Powered by DealerWEBS DealerWEBS™